Weldon now offers three exciting Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs. Each SHSM is based on completion of a specific bundle of 8 – 10 courses related to the SHSM, industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualification, and important job experience through Cooperative Education.
Construction – Transportation – Arts and Culture
For details regarding programs at Weldon, please contact the following individuals:
SHSM in Construction – Mr. Ayres email@example.com
SHSM in Transportation – Mr. Stanley firstname.lastname@example.org
SHSM in Arts and Culture – Mrs. Lacombe email@example.com and Ms. Brenneman firstname.lastname@example.org
What is a Specialist High Skills Major?
It is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements to graduate from secondary school. It also assists in the transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace.
Pursuing an SHSM enables students to:
• Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents
• Develop specialized knowledge and skills
• Earn credits that postsecondary educational institutions and the sector recognize
• Gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training
• Develop Essential Skills and work habits documented through the Ontario Skills Passport
• Identify, explore and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their future
• Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways, should their goals and plans change.