NUTRITION – CREATING A HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
Trillium Lakelands District School Board is committed to ensuring that consistent healthy eating messages and food choices are promoted in our schools. Trillium Lakelands District School Board recognizes:
- the direct relationship between healthy nutrition, the fitness level of our students and their academic achievement;
- that healthy nutrition helps to support students’ learning;
- that healthy nutrition enhances physical, emotional, social and intellectual development;
- that well nourished students are able to concentrate better, retain and apply information more effectively, and are more likely to demonstrate positive behaviours and relationships with peers;
- that students across our system from all backgrounds and circumstances do not consistently receive adequate nutrition to support their learning and developmental needs, and that this may inhibit levels of achievement and well-being among students in our schools.
Trillium Lakelands District School Board is committed to ensuring that consistent healthy eating messages and healthy food choices are promoted in our worksites. Trillium Lakelands District School Board will:
- model healthy nutritional choices;
- provide opportunities for staff wellness.
The Board is therefore committed to ensuring that students and staff have equitable access to healthy food choices, and that they have opportunities to develop an appreciation for the value of proper nutrition as an integral part of their present and future lives.